Artist Gavin John James, one of Australia’s most celebrated artists, says the ‘shocking’ allegations surrounding him, made in The Herald Sun on Tuesday, are ‘unfounded’.
“The Herald Sun article was based on false allegations, the story was a fabrication and the article was untrue,” Mr James told ABC Radio Melbourne’s Today program on Wednesday.
The article, which was written in March 2017, alleged Mr James had allegedly been the subject of sexual advances from men at the Melbourne Museum.
“The allegations were completely unfounded and it was not the intention of the Herald Sun to smear me or anyone else,” Mr JAMES said.
I have been in Melbourne for 25 years, so I know the history of the museum. “
But I’m surprised that someone who has been a long-standing member of the Melbourne Art Museum for 30 years is now being singled out and questioned for the first time about allegations that were made.”
I have been in Melbourne for 25 years, so I know the history of the museum.
I know how the Museum operates.
I’ve been there many, many times and I’ve seen how the museum works.
They’re not saying what they’re saying in terms of the Museum’s operations or what I’ve said in terms and I’m just shocked that they’re making allegations in this way.” “
I know the Museum, I know what goes on there, I do not know the Herald Stars article,” Mr Jones said.
“They’re not saying what they’re saying in terms of the Museum’s operations or what I’ve said in terms and I’m just shocked that they’re making allegations in this way.”
The Herald Star has not yet responded to The Herald Mail’s request for comment.
Mr James was banned from the Melbourne Institute of Art in May 2017 after an allegation of assault, harassment and domestic violence.
In an interview with The Herald in February, Mr James denied allegations that he had been involved in sexual assaults at the Art Museum.
Mr James said he has not seen the article and was “disturbed” by the allegations.
“When I got the letter and I was told that they’d had an investigation, I was shocked and upset,” he said.
He said the allegations against him “had absolutely no merit whatsoever”.
Mr James has a number of exhibitions, including his most recent exhibition, “The Artist’s Journey”, at the Museum of Contemporary Art Melbourne (MOCAM).
The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) has been accused of failing to protect artists and failing to promote diversity.
The MOCAM was set up in the 1980s to support artists in the arts.
In its statement, MOMA said it was “deeply concerned by recent media reports”.
“We are aware of the media report and we have been fully cooperative with the investigating authorities,” it said.