Toronto Star video reporter Andrew Cocks wrote a story on Friday detailing the departure of the film section at the Toronto Sun, which he said “is the only major Canadian newspaper to lose its section.”
Cocks said he contacted the editor of the Sun in the hopes of getting an explanation, but he was told “it was just a one-time deal.”
He said he “got the impression” the move was done “as a last resort.”
The Toronto Sun’s video section is known for featuring some of the city’s best-known and most controversial stories.
Cocks noted that the Toronto Film Critics Association had previously expressed interest in buying the section, which has been the subject of a number of complaints over its quality.
“I just got the impression that this was just another one-off deal for the Sun to make the paper look good,” he wrote.
“It just seems to me that this move is not a good idea.”